HSPnet is a fully integrated solution for the challenges of Practice Education Management.
Practice education is a vital component of education in the health sciences, representing a significant portion of a student’s requirement for graduation. It is a joint responsibility of the education and health sectors that use HSPnet as a shared system to assist with the challenges of coordination, communication, risk management, and capacity development.
HSPnet provides an integrated set of tools for responding to these challenges. Users progress beyond core functionality for Placement Coordination as needed over time. Each program or site, organization, or a jurisdiction of educational and health partners can expand their use of HSPnet to support capacity building, preceptor recognition, prerequisite tracking, student orientation, and more.
Click a link to learn about each feature of HSPnet functionality:
The central focus of HSPnet functionality is on coordination of the placement process: from placement planning to assignment of students and supervisors. Placement workflows can vary significantly by discipline and region, so HSPnet provides many optional features that support a wide range of processes.
Communication is a key success factor for successful introduction and expansion of HSPnet in a region or province. Several documents and resources are available to support implementation planning and ongoing communications:
HSPnet offers features to maintain and to share content that can be applied to multiple placements or activities. Some tools are for individual use, while others are to facilitate regional or provincial efforts to standardize practices relating to practice education. Content management tools in HSPnet include:
- Correspondence module (CORR) – for generating customized documents and forms based on HSPnet data
- Affiliation Agreements Manager (AAM) – tools for managing educational contracts
- Practice Education Guidelines (PEG) – tools for managing policies based on best practice guidelines or established documents
- eOrientation for Practice Education (eOPE) – tools for publishing and managing eLearning topics for student orientation
- eCommunity Tools (PEEC) – advanced management of the Staff Profile to support networking and collaboration
A primary focus of HSPnet is to efficiently collect data of a high quality and to support the disclosure and sharing of data that is accurate and meets requirements for privacy and confidentiality. Effective management of HSPnet data is achieved through:
- Features and templates to support manual data entry and direct upload of data (staff and student lists)
- Processes for building custom reports via user-friendly wizards, and for requesting a complex data extract that if not available from a user report or wizard
- Application process for organizations that need access to aggregate, de-identified data for governance, policy, or research
Students may be setup by their educational program to access HSPnet directly.
Basic functionality for students is read-only and allows students to view information about their upcoming placements and their placement history, and to communicate via phone/email with their instructor and their site contacts. Students can also agree to release their school email address to site contacts for the duration of their placement.
Privacy and Security
HSPnet is a secure web-enabled application that contains information about students in placements within health agencies. Student information is protected through a comprehensive privacy and security framework to ensure that personal information in HSPnet:
- Is collected, used, and disclosed only for purposes consistent with identifying and coordinating student placements;
- Cannot be used or disclosed without the consent of the student whose personal information is to be collected; and
- Is disclosed only to authorized individuals on a need-to-know basis, and in general only to individuals involved in students placements within the individual’s educational program or discipline, agency, and/or service area.
For more information:
- View a multimedia Overview of Privacy & Security in HSPnet HSPnet Privacy & Security
- Review the Quick Reference Guide on Privacy and Security of personal information in HSPnet
- View information about the provincial privacy legislation and local Privacy Officer in your province.
- Contact the national HSPnet Privacy Officer if you have any questions or concerns.
Placement management in some disciplines requires advanced options for scheduling, including:
- detailed schedules within an individual placement
- scheduling of rotations for potional dates
- splitting placements across multiple destinations or experiences
- linking requests to be considered together (e.g. two groups sharing an instructor)
Educational programs and receiving sites need effective tools to manage processes for supervisor/preceptor assignment, recognition, and communication between those who are involved with student placements.
- Staff database – a searchable resource that provides access to staff in the role of:
- Service Contact – the individual with overall responsibility for students in a service such as physiotherapy, pharmacy, or nursing (surgery, palliative care, community mental health)
- Destination Contact – the individual who is responsible for students in one or more disciplines on a specific unit or program such as Outpatient Pharmacy, Spine Program, or Home Care site
- Supervisor, preceptor, or clinical instructor who is assigned by the receiving site
- Instructor who is assigned by the educational program
- Staff Profile – tracks detailed information for each individual as appropriate for their role with students, plus a dynamic history record of all assigned students
- HSPnet access – for Course Leaders, Instructors, Service and Destination contacts, and supervisors, with view-only or edit rights as appropriate for their role and level of training.
- Staff Reports – pre-defined reports such as staff lists and placement schedules, plus wizards to build customized reports for staff tracking and recognition.
Educational programs need effective tools to manage processes for student enrollment, placement assignment, and monitoring for compliance with prerequisites of receiving sites such as CPR and immunizations.
- Student database – a searchable resource that provides access to students who have signed a consent form for the user’s educational program
- Enrollment worksheet – tracks students in each cohort (e.g. 2nd year) and provides multiple views to monitor and update the status of prerequisites (first aid, CPR, influenza vaccination, etc.)
- Assignment worksheet – supports manual assignment of students to individual or group placements, or provides access to tools for Automated Student Matching via one of several available algorithms.
- Student access – streamlines communications by allowing students to directly access their placement information including detailed schedules, a summary of their placement history, plus an option to release their school email address to contacts at their placement site. Student access is required for students to enter their compliance with site requirements (e.g. vehicle or language requirements) and for access to advanced features such as the Student Activity Tracker and Student Site Selector
- Student Reports – pre-defined reports such as student assignment summaries and student lists, plus wizards to build customized reports for student tracking and data analysis.